Tasmanian Greens MP Rosalie Woodruff has strongly criticised the State Government’s medical cannabis Controlled Access Scheme.
Introduced in 2017, the Scheme only enables medical specialists the ability to prescribe products to patients in circumstances where conventional treatments have failed. It’s a seven-step process:
- Patient first needs to consult a GP who assesses the circumstances. If the GP thinks the patient could benefit from an unregistered medical cannabis product, a referral to a specialist is made.
- Patient then needs to see the specialist who assesses.
- Specialist considers a product.
- Specialist makes an application to the Secretary of the Tasmanian Department of Health.
- The application to prescribe is then reviewed by a…